Albanese demands AFL action after Swans scandal, says initial response 'unacceptable'
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has issued a stern rebuke to the AFL over its handling of the scandal engulfing the Sydney Swans, calling the league's initial response completely unacceptable and urging a cultural reset.
Speaking on ABC's 7.30 program, Albanese said the situation was untenable and questioned why the AFL had not followed the NRL's lead in implementing a no-fault stand down clause for serious allegations.
What happened with the Sydney Swans players?
On Wednesday, the Swans stood down five players for the remainder of the AFL season: vice captain Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordan, Riley Bice and Nick Blakey. The club cited breaches of standards relating to drinking and bringing women to the team hotel.
Victoria Police's sexual crimes squad has since travelled to New South Wales to investigate a report of sexual assault. The ABC understands the allegation centres on a player allegedly touching one of the women without her consent.
Albanese criticises AFL's initial response
The Prime Minister was blunt in his assessment of how the league and club handled the early stages of the controversy.
It's extraordinary that this has occurred. The idea that this is occurring is completely untenable, and the initial response as well was, I think, completely unacceptable.
He contrasted the AFL's approach with that of the NRL, which has a no-fault stand down policy for players facing serious allegations.
The NRL have a no-fault stand down clause for issues like this, but the first thoughts should have been always about women and their safety.
Swans CEO and AFL respond
The initial response came on Monday afternoon when Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich, a former Fremantle Dockers great, confirmed several players had been linked to the alleged incident.
We're still piecing together exactly what's transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing. But safe to say that we're extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.
AFL CEO Andrew Dillon described the allegations as deeply disturbing in a statement on Tuesday.
On Thursday night, the ABC reported that detectives have been told some players paid female adult entertainers to consume drugs off their bodies. Police have not made any arrests or laid charges.
Albanese said the AFL and the Swans would have a good look at their culture.
Albanese to press Israel over Zomi Frankcom death
The Prime Minister also addressed the major geopolitical issue of the day: Israel's decision to clear its personnel of any criminal wrongdoing in a 2024 strike on a humanitarian convoy that killed Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom.
Foreign Minister Penny Wong described the decision as an outrage on Thursday morning.
Albanese told 7.30 he wanted a far more transparent response from the Israeli government.
It clearly is an outrage and there's a need for a far more transparent and clear explanation from the Israeli government other than what we've received.
Asked whether an independent investigation would be pursued, Albanese said it was one option.
It's certainly not good enough that on World Humanitarian Day they release this so-called report that essentially says, 'Yes, we're responsible, but nothing to see here'. Zomi represented the best of Australians out there in a dangerous area, helping her fellow global citizens as she had in other parts of the world that were suffering conflict as well. And that's why it deserves better.
He confirmed the government would press the Israeli government and consult with Ms Frankcom's family before making an announcement in coming days.
PM concedes podcast appearance was an error
Albanese also faced questions about criticism over his appearance on the Deep Bush podcast, which has generated multiple controversies.
He first came under scrutiny for playing a game of shag, marry, date on the July broadcast, and has since apologised for saying he would shag Kylie Minogue.
More recently, hand gestures he made while referring to a pair of melons given to him by Japanese Prime Minister Takaichi Sanae caused controversy. Albanese has not apologised for that interaction, maintaining the gestures have been misinterpreted.
However, he conceded to 7.30 that in hindsight he should not have appeared on the podcast.
I learned that I need to do better every day. If I had my time again then I wouldn't have done that podcast.
Watch 7.30, Mondays to Thursdays 7:30pm on ABC iview and ABC TV.